Cleaning up flooding in your home quickly is essential to minimize damage. There is no substitute for a water damage experts to do the job right, but here are some quick tips to help you act fast in the meantime:
1. Assess the Situation: Before you begin the clean-up process, assess the situation to ensure it’s safe to proceed. Check for any electrical hazards, structural damage, or potential dangers in the water.
2. Turn Off the Electricity: Make sure to turn off breakers for outlets, appliances, etc in the flooded area to avoid electrocution.
3. Remove Water: Start removing the water as soon as possible. You can use a wet/dry vacuum, or just old-fashioned buckets to remove the water. The faster you can get the water out, the better.
4. Remove Damaged Items: Remove any damaged items from the area. This includes furniture, rugs, and other belongings. Make a list of damaged items for insurance purposes.
5. Dry the Area: Once the water has been removed, use fans, dehumidifiers, and open windows to dry the area as quickly as possible. Mold can begin to grow in as little as 24-48 hours, so it’s important to start drying the area, but call a professional to ensure no mold will develop.
6. Disinfect the Area: Floodwater can contain bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants. Make sure to thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces that came in contact with the water.
Call Universal Restoration to:
Prevent Mold Growth Mold can cause health problems and further damage to your home. We remove water quickly and efficiently as well as thoroughly inspect all areas of your flooded area to prevent mold growth on surfaces. Your damaged area will be clean and dry and safe for your family.
Check for Structural Damage: We Inspect your home for any structural damage in the area caused by the flooding. We have the expertise and resources to spot hazard areas that the average person may not see.
Remember, it’s important to act quickly in the event of water entering your home. The faster you can clean up the water and dry the area, the less damage you will incur. Contact the water damage and restoration professionals at Universal Restoration to make sure the job is done right and your family is happy and healthy.